Culinary Creations From The Executive Chefs at the Island Resort & Casino
Discover tidings of comfort and joy with our Christmas Breakfast Bake recipe or spice up the holiday season with our Bacon Jalapeno Cheese Ball recipe.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 pound bulk sausage, mild, hot or sage
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 cups cubed French or Italian bread, crusts removed
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) grated Cheddar
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a deep 13 by 9-inch casserole dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the onion and saute over medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the hash browns and break apart. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- In a second frying pan, saute the sausage, breaking apart large clumps. When the sausage is cooked through, remove it from pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and mustard, briskly to blend.
- To assemble, spread the onions and hash browns evenly at the bottom of the greased dish. Place the bread cubes evenly on top of hash browns. With a slotted spoon distribute sausage as the third layer. Pour the milk and egg mixture over these layers. Add Parmesan as the next layer, while then adding the Cheddar.
- Save a few tablespoons of Cheddar for the last 10 minutes of baking, where you can add a fresh topping of melted Cheddar.
- Bake the casserole, uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
Bacon Jalapeno Cheese Ball
Prepared by: Executive Chef, Kristina Pomeroy
Restaurant: Coral Reef Grille
- 8 oz cream cheese (brought to room temperature)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 jalapenos (diced and divided)
- 6 pieces cooked bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- crackers for serving
- Mix together the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, cilantro, garlic, cumin, cayenne, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, half of the diced jalapenos and half of the crumbled cooked bacon. Stir together until well mixed and set aside.
- If need be, adjust seasonings and add salt.
- Set aside pecans and remaining diced jalapenos and bacon on a plate.
- Roll the cheese mixture into a ball, then place on the plate and roll in the jalapenos, bacon and pecans until covered.
- Chill covered for at least an hour before serving