Roulette is a fairly straightforward casino game that, at first glance, appears to be only a game of chance and luck. But in this installment of our Ask the Dealer series, we answer your question about where to place chips in roulette to increase your odds of winning. This game is definitely about more than just spinning the wheel and hoping that it lands on your number.
Where to Place Your Chips: The Strategy When Betting in Roulette
As with any game, never bet more than you can afford to lose and don’t try to recover your losses. Step away and regroup. In roulette, the odds are more slanted toward the house.
Here are our best ideas for strategic betting on roulette to increase your chances of winning:
- The Martingale Strategy: This is a doubling-up system. For example, if you start off betting simply on the color red, and black is the winning color, double your next bet on red. Keep doing this until the ball lands on red and you will cover your losses. Keep your betting limits in mind before making the first, potentially-losing bet.
- The Paroli System: First make a small, initial bet. If you lose, repeat the same bet amount for the next spin. When you eventually win, then double your bet on the next spin. When you win three games in a row, return to your original, smaller bet.
Play only in a reputable casino, especially if you are playing roulette online. Reputable online casinos will give you the chance to win by having random-number-generating software. Play a steady game and keep to your previously-set betting limits.
Playing It Safe: The Safest Bets to Make in Roulette
Here are the safest bets you can make, which are known as Inside or Outside wagers. Your odds of winning and losing are about equal.
Inside wagers include betting on the following:
- Single numbers from 00 to 36
- Split numbers are bets on two adjacent numbers on the roulette grid. Either number wins if the ball lands on one or the other.
- Corner bets cover four adjacent numbers on the grid, like 11, 12, 14, and 15. Any of the numbers win if the ball lands in one of them.
- Street bets cover three numbers. Double streets cover six numbers.
Outside wagers include:
- Bets on which column the ball will land on one of the numbers listed in a column
- Bets on which color the spin will land on when it stops
- Bets on even or odd number
- Bets on landing within a high (19-36) or low (1-18) number range
- Bets on landing within a range of a dozen numbers, the first, second or third dozen
- Note: If the ball lands on 0-00, all outside bets lose.
May the Odds Be in Your Favor: How Many Slots Are in a Roulette Wheel?
Yes, winning at roulette does involve some luck, especially since the odds highly favor the house. But, there are ways to win other than watching helplessly by waiting for the ball fall into your favorite-numbered spot. American roulette wheels have 38 slots with numbers, including a 0 and a 00. European casinos have 37 slots, making your odds of winning only minutely better.
Enjoy a Game-Filled Weekend!
Enjoy these tips from our dealers about using a strategy to win at roulette. And know that sometimes these questions are best asked in person when you’re at the casino and can interact one-on-one with our dealers.
Be sure to watch for more gaming insights and answers to your questions from our fabulous casino team each month.