Culinary Creations from the Executive Chefs at the Island Resort & Casino
Share the love with our seafood pasta and pepper crusted filet mignon with mushroom risotto & grilled asparagus recipes.
Prepared by: Executive Chef, Mark Cardinal
Restaurant: 5 Bridges Steak & Seafood House
- 2 quarts (8 cups) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 shallot, very finely diced
- 2 to 3 threads saffron, chopped or crumbled
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 pound linguine or other pasta, cooked al dente and thoroughly drained
- Fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Shrimp, lobster, scallops
- Warm olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add shrimp, lobster and scallops to the skillet and cook until tender. Transfer the shrimp, lobster and scallops to a serving plate and tent with foil to keep warm
- Reduce heat the medium, add the shallot and cook until tender (about 2 minutes)
- Add broth and saffron threads, bring to a simmer and reduce for 10 minutes. Add the cream and butter stirring to combine. Simmer the mixture for 1 minute to allow the flavors to blend.
- Add the shrimp, lobster and scallops to the sauce and sprinkle with parsley. Add sauce to pasta and serve.
- 1½ cups arborio rice
- 1 qt mushroom stock, vegetable stock or chicken stock ( I prefer chicken stock)
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
Mushroom Risotto Directions
- Heat the stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan, then lower the heat so that the stock just stays hot.
- Melt 1 Tbsp of the butter in a saute pan and saute the sliced mushrooms until they’re soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the oil and 1 Tbsp of the butter over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the onion. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until it is slightly translucent.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir it briskly with a wooden spoon so that the grains are coated with the oil and melted butter. Saute for another minute or so, until there is a slightly nutty aroma. But don’t let the rice turn brown.
- Add the wine and cook while stirring, until the liquid is fully absorbed.
- Add a ladle of hot stock to the rice and stir until the liquid is fully absorbed. When the rice appears almost dry, add another ladle of stock and repeat the process.
- Continue adding stock, a ladle at a time, for 20-30 minutes or until the grains are tender but still firm to the bite, without being crunchy. When you’re down to your last few ladles of stock, add the cooked mushrooms. If you run out of stock and the risotto still isn’t done, you can finish the cooking using hot water. Just add the water as you did with the stock, a ladle at a time, stirring while it’s absorbed.
- Stir in the remaining 2 Tbsp butter, the parmesan cheese and the parsley, and season to taste with Kosher salt.
- Risotto turns glutinous if held for too long, so you should serve it right away. A properly cooked risotto should form a soft, creamy mound on a dinner plate. It shouldn’t run across the plate, nor should it be stiff or gluey.
Filet Mignon Ingredients
- 6- 6 oz steaks of your choice
- Fresh ground black pepper
Filet Mignon Ingredients
- To make the steaks, adjust oven rack to the lower-middle position and place a rimmed baking sheet on the rack. Preheat oven to 450º
- Place a large, cast iron skillet over high heat. While skillet is heating, rub each side of the steaks with ½ teaspoon of oil and sprinkle with salt, and coat well with fresh crushed pepper.
- Place the steaks in the hot skillet and cook, without moving, for about 3 minutes or until they are well browned and a crust has formed.
- Turn the steaks and cook for another 3 minutes, or until a crust has formed on the second side.
- Transfer the steaks to the heated baking sheet. Cook in the oven for 4-6 minutes for rare, 6-8 minutes for medium rare and 8-10 minutes for medium. When steaks have reached desired doneness, transfer to a plate. Allow to rest for a few minutes before serving.
Grilled Asparagus Ingredients
- 1-2 Bunches of Asparagus, depending on size
Grilled Asparagus Directions
- Snap ends off asparagus
- Toss Asparagus in salt, pepper, and oil.
- Grill on char grill for 3-5 minutes rotating often.